Friday, November 15, 2019

Post SIM encounter

Overall, I feel the SIM encounter went well. I thought I did a decent job of sitting next to the client's mother and making eye contact and being fully engaged in the conversation. I also feel I did an adequate job of addressing the parents concerns and questions, but my explanations could have been a little more clear. I know the information in my head, but under stress it all gets jumbled and I have trouble collecting my thoughts. I don't feel like I let that show too much during the encounter, and I did an okay job of explaining sensory processing disorder and what a bystander is to the parent.

If I had it to do over again, I would be sure to try to have my thoughts together a little more and ask a few more open ended question. I would also slow down my explanations even though I did run out of time. I think that may have been a little bit of my problem. I felt rushed because I knew I had to get all the information relayed to the parent in a short amount of time in the most efficient way possible. I put more stress on myself than I should have. In future encounters, I will remind myself to slow down, and just do my best.

An attitude of caring can go a long way with any parent. Specifically, in my encounter, the mother asked about sensory processing disorder meaning her child had autism. Which is a concern of many parents. By addressing the parents concern and informing them that you are not at liberty to diagnosis that, but if they would like to do further testing that you will provide them the resources and contacts necessary to assist in the process, is an act of caring in and of itself. Just showing the parent you are willing to help out with the confusion and emotions related to a new diagnosis of their child builds trust and rapport, not only the parents, but also the client as well.
Another example of an attitude of caring is just listening to the concerns of the parent and letting them know they are not alone in this new "normal" for their family and you are there to help or assist in any way possible and help their child lead as typical as a  life as possible. Like I said before, a new diagnosis is very hard for a parent to wrap their head around and process without blaming themselves for being the cause of it or wondering "why my child". The reassurance of having support and help from the therapist, and others experiencing the same thing, can go a long ways.

Going ahead in future SIM encounters, future fieldwork rotations, and even clinical practice in general, a very important take away to carry with me is it doesn't matter what you say to the parent or client, it's all in how you make them feel. Did I do my best to make them feel like they can trust me? Did I do an adequate job of relaying information in a way that is understandable for them with an ensuring attitude that I am here to help and serve their child or family member in the best way possible? It is very important for us to take a look back, and think about if this were us in this situation, how would we like to be treated and spoken. Letting that guide our tone and empathy for the individuals we are working with.

No comments:

Post a Comment