Sunday, August 25, 2019

Media Project - Plastic Milk Jug

The Media Project allowed me the opportunity to put my future OT mind to work and come up with a fun, creative activity for my client, Barbara, with relapsing-remitting MS. This project showed how tough creativity can be with some items. Since Barbara enjoys crafting activities, I thought what better way to work on her deficits than with a low-tech, homemade cow planter made out of the plastic milk jug I was assigned. With Barbara’s recent decline in memory and limited supply of daily energy, I decided to focus on restoring upper-body strength and energy to maintain function and engagement in her daily occupations as well as promoting independence in these tasks. Working on cognitive tasks to maintain her current state is important to address as well  and I did this through throwing in the use of different materials to make the planter into a cow.

One of the most useful things I learned from this project is the importance of looking at every aspect of a person’s life and focusing on what is truly important to the individual and what goals they have set for themselves as well. What is going to grasp and hold their attention and make them want to do and be better. As a result of this project, I feel I am more competent in goal writing that is client-centered and occupation-based as well as focused on function and measurable time frames. This project shows the level of difficulty and various components that must be considered by therapists when trying to create an intervention for specific clients. As a future clinician, I can take what I learned from this project and implement the creativity and usefulness of household items in my clinical work. 



No comments:

Post a Comment